Snow is no laughing matter when you have to drive through it to get to work or school. Keeping roadways clear is a lot of effort for the city but keeping the driveway clear is a personal obstacle for millions of people around the world. It’s tempting to get it done fast so you can run back into the house, but technique is important to avoid injury or any accidents.
· Be prepared for the amount of time you’re going to spend outside.
· Dress in layers
· Stretch before you do hard labor to prevent injury
· Take regular breaks so you don’t push yourself too much
· Wax the shovel blade so that snow doesn’t stick to it
· Lift with your legs and bend the knees
· Change your grip periodically while shoveling
· Avoid compacting the snow by walking or driving on it before shoveling
· If the snow is heavy, skim some off the top before shoveling the bottom
Minimize your time outside in the snow by streamlining your home with automated rural gate openers and vehicles with automatic start. Gate openers allow you to leave the area without having to get out and open a gate when it’s freezing outside. Automatic start on vehicles means you spend less time in a cold truck waiting for it to warm up.
Another tip for vehicle owners is to shovel a path to your car and keep it salted. This keeps snow from building up on the driver’s side, so you can easily hop in and crank it up. Beat the cold this year with these shoveling tips and tricks to help ease the labor of snow removal. If you live in an area with regular heavy snowfall, you can further ease your labor by investing in a snow blower. Snow blowers quickly get rid of ice and fluffy snow with less time and strain than shoveling.